Main menu

Pages

Military Officers in Russia Continue to Suffer a Bitter Fate

Many Russian conscripts have suffered a heavy fate since President Vladimir Putin announced partial mobilization in September.

Local officials said Roman Malyk, a soldier in charge of mobilization in the Partisansky and Lazovsky districts of Russia’s far eastern Primorsky region, was found dead on the evening of 14 October.

Reservists enlisted during partial mobilization attended a departure ceremony in Sevastopol, Crimea, on September 27, 2022. On September 21, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the mobilization of hundreds of thousands of Russian troops to support Moscow’s army in Ukraine, sparking demonstrations and mass exodus of men abroad. On October 14, a Russian conscription officer was found dead.
STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images

“The heart of a strong and brave man who went through the hot spots but did not break under the weight of hard military incidents and heavy losses died,” said a statement from local officials, describing Malyk’s death as “tragic”.

A local news outlet reported that Malyk’s body was found with “signs of suicide”.

Telegram channel Amur Mash reported that the police are still investigating whether Malyk’s death was murder or suicide, and that his relatives do not believe he committed suicide.

Malyk’s death came after a young Russian man opened fire last month at a military registry and enlistment office in Russia’s Irkutsk region.

The governor of the region, Igor Kobzev, said on his Telegram channel at the time that there was an “emergency” in the region.

Noting that the military commissar Alexander Vladimirovich Eliseev is in intensive care and in serious condition, he said, “A young man shot at the military registration and enlistment office.”

According to multiple reports, the man said before he was shot, “No one will fight” and “we will all go home now”.

Kobzev said the man was arrested “immediately”. Local Telegram channel ASTRA reported that the attacker had contacted his mother, Marina Zinina, who said that her son had not received a call, but that his best friend had been called to fight in Ukraine.

“Ruslan was very upset about this, because [his] The friend did not serve in the military. “They said there would be a partial mobilization, but it turned out they took everybody,” he said.

Meanwhile, at least two officials responsible for mobilization in Russia have been dismissed or suspended in recent weeks.

On Monday, St. The head of the mobilization department in St. Petersburg, Viktor Shevchenko, was dismissed by Governor Alexander Beglov.

Earlier this month, a recruiting officer in Khabarovsk, a region in Russia’s far east, was suspended after thousands of people were inadvertently recruited.

“About half of the thousands of compatriots who received a summons and came to military registration offices in the last 10 days were sent back home because they did not meet the selection criteria,” regional governor Mikhail Degtyaryov wrote in a Telegram video. Said.

Attacks on military registration and enlistment offices across the country have also increased since Putin’s decision to partially mobilize reserves to fight in Ukraine.

State Duma Deputy Alexander Khinshtein announced on Sunday that the Russian National Guard has been deployed in a number of cities, including Moscow, amid “increasing attacks”.

“In connection with the increased attacks on military registration and enlistment offices, the Russian Guard took measures to protect them,” Khinshtein wrote on his Telegram channel. Guards all over the country.”

News Week reached the Russian Foreign Ministry for comment.

Comments